Login
Username:
Password:
You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  123456Next
Current Page:1 of 6
veletron

Last Visited: 09:26
17th Oct 2014
Parking Charges @ Cairngorm
Date Posted: 13.38hrs on Thu 4 Aug 11
Has this already been posted, could not see anything?

[www.mcofs.org.uk]

Nigel
cmorrison

Last Visited: 14:17
27th Oct 2014
Re: Parking Charges @ Cairngorm
Date Posted: 13.45hrs on Thu 4 Aug 11
That's a bit mischievous. Is the funicular still loss making now the debt has been written off?
matchstick1

Last Visited: 12:24
10th Jun 2013
Date Posted: 13.55hrs on Thu 4 Aug 11
Wasn't the main problem the debt repayments? Surely now they've been written off the thing is at least managing to break even?
veletron

Last Visited: 09:26
17th Oct 2014
Date Posted: 14.16hrs on Thu 4 Aug 11
Hipennine

Last Visited: 13:02
22nd Nov 2014
Date Posted: 15.39hrs on Thu 4 Aug 11
matchstick1 Wrote:
Wasn't the main problem the debt repayments? Surely now they've been written off the thing is at least managing to break even?

If all the debt was paid off, why did the Company make interest payments of 134k in the year ending march 2010 (the year of very big profit), cf to 77k the previous year, and 85k the year before that ?
Olderalan

Last Visited: 18:45
20th Nov 2014
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 15.42hrs on Thu 4 Aug 11
Hipennine Wrote:
matchstick1 Wrote:

If all the debt was paid off, why did the Company make interest payments of 134k in the year ending march 2010 (the year of very big profit), cf to 77k the previous year, and 85k the year before that ?

I believe that the company now owes the debt to HIE so that would account for the interest payments?

Regards

Olderalan
alan

Last Visited: 01:00
23rd Nov 2014
Date Posted: 17.15hrs on Thu 4 Aug 11
MCofS being mischievous if anything. What is happening is an extension of the 'carbon donation' scheme for which there have been donation boxes at the top ends of the carpark for a number of years. There are no ticket machines going in, so no way of verifying if cars have paid or not - they are simply donation boxes.

CML undertakes detailed monitoring of the Cairngorm Estate and surrounds. So far the evidence from this has allowed CML to avoid the requirements in the Section 50 agreement to enforce the Clearway on the Ski Road, close the Coire na Ciste Carpark out of the ski season and enforce compulsory and escalating parking charges in Coire Cas.

The price would be set by the various other signatures to the Section 50 with the aim of pricing non funicular users out of high level carparks to effectively force the 'long walk in' so beloved of the MCofS!

Also CML has not been loss making in public ownership.
daveski

Last Visited: 14:39
17th Nov 2014
Date Posted: 10.17hrs on Fri 5 Aug 11
alan Wrote:
MCofS being mischievous if anything. What is happening is an extension of the 'carbon donation' scheme for which there have been donation boxes at the top ends of the carpark for a number of years. There are no ticket machines going in, so no way of verifying if cars have paid or not - they are simply donation boxes.

CML undertakes detailed monitoring of the Cairngorm Estate and surrounds. So far the evidence from this has allowed CML to avoid the requirements in the Section 50 agreement to enforce the Clearway on the Ski Road, close the Coire na Ciste Carpark out of the ski season and enforce compulsory and escalating parking charges in Coire Cas.

The price would be set by the various other signatures to the Section 50 with the aim of pricing non funicular users out of high level carparks to effectively force the 'long walk in' so beloved of the MCofS!

Also CML has not been loss making in public ownership.

I like your response - as to not been loss making in public ownership - there may be a couple of other factors, such as some bumper snow etc. But whatever the reason lets hope they can continue the trend.
bitoffluff

Last Visited: 17:51
24th Oct 2014
Date Posted: 10.54hrs on Sat 6 Aug 11
official CML statement says "erection of the donation boxes" so i dont think MCofS are being mischeivous they are just reporting what has been issued by the company. 2 years time reckon the charge will be compulsory. Not sure about your ref to "long walk in" - isnt that just about new things like tracks that reduce wild feel of areas currently untouched - not exactly ski road / car park / CMtn area?
Sunshine

Last Visited: 20:07
13th Sep 2014
Date Posted: 20.47hrs on Sat 6 Aug 11
I am normally quite happy to pay parking charges in remote areas. However, I resent the suggested discrimination that is frequently made between walkers, climbers and funicular users on Cairngorm. 26 million of public money has been spent on the "funny peculiar railway" and feel that users of this particular car park should not be charged.
The improvements to the car park last year were a total waste of money, with most of the barriers trashed over the winter. The approach to the car park is dated and uninteresting and not what is expected at a major tourist attraction in the Cairngorms National Park. In fact, Coire Cas reaks of decay.
daveski

Last Visited: 14:39
17th Nov 2014
Date Posted: 17.06hrs on Sun 7 Aug 11
I don't think the approach to the Car Park is CML's responsibility, but I agree that it does look run down - I guess its more than the lifts that have suffered over the years
alan

Last Visited: 01:00
23rd Nov 2014
Date Posted: 19.37hrs on Sun 7 Aug 11
Quote:
However, I resent the suggested discrimination that is frequently made between walkers, climbers and funicular users on Cairngorm

Skiers and funicular users contribute to the ongoing costs of operating the carpark and base facilities, non paying visitors do not, but still get the benefit. Who's being discriminated against?
mdearman

Last Visited: 14:31
20th Aug 2014
Date Posted: 16.55hrs on Mon 8 Aug 11
I must admit this topic leaves me conflicted... I hate the idea of parking charges generally to access the outdoors, but for as long as i have a season pass it would make me much happier if i didn't have to fight for a parking space.....
Chionophile

Last Visited: 19:57
23rd Oct 2014
Date Posted: 19.07hrs on Mon 8 Aug 11
Whether or not one favours parking charges, it is worth remembering that Inverness County Council and later Highland Regional Council and the HIDB/HIE paid for the car parks and roads (and the Army made the Link Road to Coire Cas), not the company. I can recall the County Council charging for parking and installing a man in a wee booth to issue tickets and take the money, but the Council abandoned the scheme because the charges did not cover the costs. This also happened at an early stage at Glenshee, and was abandoned for the same reason. The relevant Councils also made access roads at Glencoe and Nevis Range, and (I think) the first car parks.
mdearman

Last Visited: 14:31
20th Aug 2014
Date Posted: 12.11hrs on Tue 9 Aug 11
It seems like it would become a bit of a mess, Isn't the the road owned/maintained by the council at the moment? if the roads only use is to access CMLs pay per use carparks then surely CML have to take over the maintainance of the road through summer and winter.

On that note, it always seemed wrong to me that CML could close the road to traffic because the car parks were full, when its a public road.
Goto Page:  123456Next
Current Page:1 of 6
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: