Login
Username:
Password:
You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Current Page:21 of 49
David Goldsmith

Last Visited: 06:04
23rd Aug 2014
Re: CairnGorm Snow 2012
Date Posted: 19.05hrs on Fri 13 Apr 12
Strathy story about the re-opening of the Gorm ...

[www.strathspey-herald.co.uk]

"Equipment hire will be available and reduced snowsports ticket prices of 15 (adult) and 10 (Junior) will apply, with the first train up at 10.20am."

Colin Kirkwood [CGM marketing manager]: "... with the weather forecast for this weekend it looks like an ideal time for learners to have a go too."

I think this is a good point. Beginners don't expect to learn to ski at the tail-end of a ski season, but it's a very positive idea. My wife Jackie took early lessons on the Stubai glacier in Austria in late May. Better to learn in nice temperatures than short cold days in the early winter!

alan

Last Visited: 02:03
23rd Aug 2014
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 19.41hrs on Fri 13 Apr 12
if there is no base then you go straight through to gravel/rocks/burn/grass or whatever.

Didn't stop the M1 Poma running last week for lift served combat skiing and that was just the uptrack! Inconsistency added to by inconsistent, at times out of date and conflicting information causes frustration, esp when people are sitting on little used season passes and unused multi-day ticket vouchers.

Though I now gather a busy body made complaints to SNH about an open system and skiing without adequate snow cover!! sad smiley

When some have busted a gut to get a tow or two running over the past 10 days, it really is disappointing for the information side of things to let everyone down. With high fuel prices people aren't prepared to risk wasted journeys anymore, that makes getting accurate info out at a time that is meaningful to your more distant customers an necessity.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 19.42hrs Fri 13 Apr 12 by alan.

mag1882

Last Visited: 17:14
9th Feb 2013
Date Posted: 19.47hrs on Fri 13 Apr 12
alan Wrote:
if there is no base then you go straight through to gravel/rocks/burn/grass or whatever.

Didn't stop the M1 Poma running last week for lift served combat skiing and that was just the uptrack! Inconsistency added to by inconsistent, at times out of date and conflicting information causes frustration, esp when people are sitting on little used season passes and unused multi-day ticket vouchers.

Though I now gather a busy body made complaints to SNH about an open system and skiing without adequate snow cover!!

When some have busted a gut to get a tow or two running over the past 10 days, it really is disappointing for the information side of things to let everyone down. With high fuel prices people aren't prepared to risk wasted journeys anymore, that makes getting accurate info out at a time that is meaningful to your more distant customers an necessity.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 19.42hrs Fri 13 Apr 12 by alan.

EXACTLY THIS! I've contacted them multiple times asking them to live up to their promises of having an update by 9:00 but they're always around 10, it really sucks if you have to come more than 60 miles

lovetoski

Last Visited: 22:34
2nd May 2014
Date Posted: 20.56hrs on Fri 13 Apr 12
can we all stop moaning,lets all hope cml are open tomorrow,iv to travel 80 miles

AndyD

Last Visited: 13:08
21st Aug 2014
Date Posted: 22.21hrs on Fri 13 Apr 12
Had a brilliant day today, or at least my son did. Phoned this morning at 9ish to find out if I would be allowed to take him out and was told to call back in an hour! Web was updated by 9.15ish and plenty of snow on the Polar express. Cam decided he likes power, no surprise there but he is only 6, so spent most of the day in the freshies below PE, hard work on my legs.
Obsereved some half hearted effort to move snow onto the Ciste tow track and sounds like it paid off.
Snow is 8 inches deep with 2-3 firmish with 5 soft powder on top. Loads of fun and fresh line to be had but rockhoppers recommended.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 22.31hrs Fri 13 Apr 12 by AndyD.

Attachments: fresh fields.jpg (145kB)   powder.jpg (130kB)   depth.jpg (114kB)  
daveski

Last Visited: 18:36
22nd Aug 2014
Date Posted: 11.37hrs on Sat 14 Apr 12
Just wondering what time the other ski areas are putting upa message saying they are open for snow sports?

I guess it does take a bit of time to get up to the top first thing in morning to do the safety checks and assesments. Its end of a very poor season financially as well as snow, staff numbers are probably at a low (cant be many around that can do the safety check and assesments). Say thy were up 7am at day lodge, get kittedkitted out (need to be a number of staff as well) all going well they could get an update by 8am at push. 8 hour day they would be heading off the mountain about 3pm.
But then why think about it its lot easier to sit back and take it as another opportunity to have swipe at CML

Interestingly how much this web completley alienates many of key individulas at cml who are out breaking ther back Shovelling snow to get tows open on marginal conditions for benefit of season ticket holders and other winter sports enthusiasts.

Andy

Last Visited: 16:27
21st Aug 2014
Date Posted: 12.50hrs on Sat 14 Apr 12
every other ski area manages to update early when they're opening. yes there doing a great job opening up in marginal conditions but thats what you expect from a ski area in scotland. Anyway good on them for getting lifts open...hope they get some more snow next week.

h11lly

Last Visited: 01:07
23rd Aug 2014
Date Posted: 19.14hrs on Sat 14 Apr 12
Yes great that lifts were running today. thumbs up

A day when the sun kept teasing, but on the plus side when it went, more snow came smiling smiley

Some photos here [www.winterhighland.info]

Helen

cammyammy

Last Visited: 18:05
20th Aug 2014
Date Posted: 21.16hrs on Sat 14 Apr 12
Think I could head up on wednesday. Are the conditions worth 2hrs 20 min each way in the car or would Glencoe be better with a competitive travel time? Very dependant on lifts being open at Cairngorm given the Funicular situation but could probably make do with the access chair being open at Glencoe though no touring kit at present so will be relying on low-tech walking smiling smiley. Desicions Desicions...

EMCD11

Date Posted: 14.59hrs on Sun 15 Apr 12
Great to see Colin with another youtube update. Certainly proves with some of his comments that cairngorm do listen to our (winterhighlanders) views..
Happy April Ski-ing!!!

h11lly

23rd Aug 2014
Date Posted: 19.15hrs on Sun 15 Apr 12
Another great day on Cairngorm. Ptarmigan tow got going giving access to the upper bowl. Ptarmigan traverse is quite narrow but the area to the east of the tow is loaded.

Had a wander up to the summit and over the east side of the hill. Report and photos
[www.winterhighland.info]

Helen

JC

Last Visited: 12:33
5th Jul 2014
What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 19.42hrs on Sun 15 Apr 12
Magic day at Cairngorm today, really didn't expect it to be that good. smiling smiley
Nice to bump into you again Helen!

The snow over the back was great and plenty of it too. Quite a number of tourers out and about.

Glad I took the skins, wouldn't have liked to have to hike back up in that snow, was fresh and knee deep in places.

A few photos here:

[www.winterhighland.info]

Jonny

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 19.49hrs Sun 15 Apr 12 by JC.

h11lly

23rd Aug 2014
Date Posted: 20.53hrs on Sun 15 Apr 12
Yes Jonny good to see you.

Too true about the skins and lovely snow to skin on today. A few weeks back I was struggling to get them to grip on wet spring snow and ended up carrying the skis. Made it much more of an effort. Today over the back didn't seem nearly so far or steep going up, but was much further going down smiling smiley

Helen

Skitourer

Last Visited: 09:52
18th Jul 2014
Date Posted: 08.49hrs on Mon 16 Apr 12
Had two really enjoyable days up at Cairngorm Sat/Sun - could have done with a bit more visibility on Saturday and a bit more sunshine yesterday, but today is glorious and I'm at work. Should be a classic day for those who can get up there.

A lot of work done to get the Ptarmigan lift open - problem was lack of snow depth at the on-ramp - still requires a bit of a climb. The atmosphere was great at the weekend - everyone glad to be back on the snow including the staff.

A wee reminder - there's another thread for criticism - constructive and otherwise - of CML.

daveski

Last Visited: 18:36
22nd Aug 2014
Date Posted: 10.53hrs on Mon 16 Apr 12
EMCD11 Wrote:
Great to see Colin with another youtube update. Certainly proves with some of his comments that cairngorm do listen to our (winterhighlanders) views..
Happy April Ski-ing!!!

You are assuming that they read WH, the post on Ski Patrol facebook suggest they dont. Personaly I think its coincidental that any changes is coincidntal to what is stated on WH.

Current Page:21 of 49
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: