Login
Username:
Password:
You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous1234Next
Current Page:3 of 4
actionslax

Last Visited: 20:42
16th Jun 2014
Re: Anyone interested in making a film?
Date Posted: 23.22hrs on Wed 19 Oct 11
cammyammy Wrote:
actionslax, Ipad and Iphone users get 50gb free.

It is an IOS deal but if don't have IOS get someone who has and get them to signup with your email address - 30 seconds. Then you can log in via web browser. Easy way of getting 50GB FREE. Done this for our work many times - and we share some big ass PSD's (Photoshop).

cammyammy

Last Visited: 13:21
29th Aug 2014
Date Posted: 21.44hrs on Thu 20 Oct 11
Im writing some guidlines, Im sure some of it will need editing but I was just wanderig what the minimal resolution should be?
andytb

Last Visited: 23:05
20th Nov 2014
Date Posted: 02.45hrs on Fri 21 Oct 11
If something's not filmed at 720p it looks quite bad on modern TV screens.
gaz5m

Last Visited: 07:51
18th Nov 2014
Date Posted: 09.20hrs on Fri 21 Oct 11
I'm with Andy, 720p 30fps I'd go with as a minimum, with 720p 60fps if possible.

I've never found a benefit to recording in 1080p on my camera. In fact, the video is often more jerky and of lesser quality than the 720p 60fps stuff when doing snowboard filming (60fps seems to be better because of all the movement involved)

But thats only in my experience.
thephmack

Last Visited: 16:33
8th Mar 2014
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 13.25hrs on Fri 21 Oct 11
I agree to the 720 30fps minimum, and great if we can have 60fps where possible..

Also agree to trying to have a good bit of character to the skiers shown - which makes a big difference to how you see them skiing (/boarding). I wonder, though, if this will be possible with any kind of consistency without having a single person who is there all along?

Otherwise, how about asking folk to submit self-contained, already edited 3-5 minute segments, to be pulled together?

... also, while I do think it should be about the fun, I also think that either the terrain / remoteness / lighting should be great, or the line should be pretty high in GNAR points, or the skiing should be excellent. I'm sure you can get vids of at least 100 people skiing Jacob's ladder, Aladdin's Couloir etc., so only the best of the best going down those Cairngorm classics; but on the other hand, someone skiing on the back side of Liathach, Torridon is meritorious by the nature of its remoteness and the hard work it takes to get there...

Def worth trying to avoid the editors being swamped with hundreds of videos of people skiing the same near-resort lines badly in low visibility and cloud. But on the other hand, I'd love to see someone put in a 360 or a backflip off the lip under Aladdin's Seat in Aladdin's Couloir...

What I mean is submissions should be: either exceptional skiing, exceptional terrain, exceptional conditions, exceptional light (/sunset /sunrise) or exceptionally well shot - and preferably two or more of the above. Would be cool to get groups meeting up and getting out there to ski hard and film well, rather than just lots of "I'm skiing it anyway so I might as well film it" POV stuff, as someone said earlier...

Should be great, looking forward to helping any way I can - don't mind doing something completely different (e.g. climbing or skiing a completely different line) to be cameraman, as long as whoever I'm filming promises to charge. My camera is small / light and takes decent films, but no high frame rate, upsettlingly...

Have joined FBk group...

P
andytb

Last Visited: 23:05
20th Nov 2014
Date Posted: 14.22hrs on Fri 21 Oct 11
There's plenty amateur 320x240 footage out there from eBay 20 helmet cams that just is a waste of time. That's what needs to be avoided rather than being too fussy about fps. 720p is a good starter as all semi respectable consumer kit should be able to film it now. HD is trendy. An SD camera in the right hands can produce pretty damn good results too.
cammyammy

29th Aug 2014
Date Posted: 17.50hrs on Fri 21 Oct 11
720p 30fps it is.

I have put in the guidlines that if you can, without losing quality, a days recordings should be stitched into one without any effects, music or whathaveyou.

And obviously to make it more interesting we encourage groups. And I hope that there will be a few backcountry folk here who will get some nice stuff. Dont hold back when getting a good shot, obvs dont put yourself in any danger but we want to make it as good as it can be.

I have to go so keeping it short

Heres the draft of the guidlines
[www.facebook.com]

Any changes you think need to be made leave a comment or if you dont have facebook reply here.

Cheers
Cammmy

YJ

Date Posted: 18.18hrs on Sun 23 Oct 11
You should watch some of the work by evan heath [vimeo.com] and landis tanaka [vimeo.com] to get some inspiration.
veletron

Last Visited: 09:26
17th Oct 2014
Date Posted: 10.53hrs on Mon 24 Oct 11
Hi

Aye, 720P is the way forward, Poss to use a mix of 30 and 60FPS kit, 60FPS footage can be slowed down to half speed for action shots without looking shite.

The video could look a bit disjointed if the footage comes from too many sources - some kit will be better at setting up the WB on auto than others. Some of this can be fixed in the edit.

I've got a headcam (Drift HD) and a digicam that both do decent 720P. Choice of codecs is important, too much transcoding reduces quality. I have video's that look excellent viewed on the PC, but noticibly worse after youtube/vimeo have 'chewed' on them.

Action cam on the end of a ski pole or on a telescopic camera mount always makes for much better/more interesting footage than one mounted on a helmet/ski (can be OK on a board though, less vibration). Footage from a pole mounted cam is more steady (pole acts like a steadycam) - this in turn leads to an easier life for the video compressor (better quality).

I edit using PowerDirector on a PC which seems to give decent results.

Modern HD video capable DSLR's can give some fantastic results. My brother (who does short films) has taken to shooting on DSLR: [vimeo.com]

My latest MTB video(!): [www.vimeo.com]

Some decent backing music is required too - no good using your MP3 collection, needs to be royalty free or licenced content.

Nigel

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 10.56hrs Mon 24 Oct 11 by veletron.
YJ

Date Posted: 16.24hrs on Mon 24 Oct 11
Veletron, if you're using sony vegas pro, or sony vegas HD studio, try using the sony AVC codec when rendering footage for youtube and vimeo.

Try the following rendering settings.
Template: 720HD
Frame size: HD 1280x720
Video format: sony AVC codec
Frame rate: 23fps (ITVC film)
remote_patrol

Last Visited: 14:43
18th Nov 2014
Date Posted: 23.17hrs on Thu 27 Oct 11
count me in for the facebook group too, happy to help out with whatever. like the idea of keeping days as one file, easy to keep track of progress through the season etc....

and another thumbs up for sony vegas, edits hd better than most on my crusty old hardware!
cammyammy

29th Aug 2014
Date Posted: 01.21hrs on Fri 28 Oct 11
I have been using sony vegas movie studio for a while and love it, you can render movies specifically geared towards youtube, vimeo, etc. in 1080p without having to know anything about codecs or other jargon I couldnt possbly tell you about. I picked up movie studio 10 platinum for about 30 on ebay and its all Iv really been using though now Im wanting vegas pro. As theres some stuff that is really limiting on the cheap version when you get into detail.
snowflo

Last Visited: 07:54
2nd Jan 2012
Date Posted: 05.41hrs on Sat 5 Nov 11
This year the ski/board cross is at glenshee again. There will also be a festival at glenshee this season to celebrate 50 years snow sports from there to 'gorms.
Might be good to include?

Aint it fun!
cammyammy

29th Aug 2014
Date Posted: 16.44hrs on Sun 6 Nov 11
Yeah, for the second year in a row strangely. I thought it was meant to rotate around the 5 centres each year (the snow cross). But its convenient for me as I missed it last year. Didnt know about the festival. Anywhere on the web with more info? There is also the highlander freestyle comp, or at least that was on the calenfer when I checked a while back. And yeah I agree if we can make something of the two that would be great.

Mid-top spec DSLRS shoot stunning HD footage. However many lower down video enabled dslrs have slow shutter speed, and other techy problems as well.

And music is a killer. For another project I have been planning I have been wanting to put it to 'AWOLNATION' - 'Sail' also used here: [www.youtube.com]. Its a nice tune and I think it would be ace against some snow.

Of course it would be OK for youtube to use it, but I dont want it limited to youtube particularly.
YJ

Date Posted: 18.24hrs on Sun 6 Nov 11

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 18.27hrs Sun 6 Nov 11 by YJ.
Goto Page:  Previous1234Next
Current Page:3 of 4
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: