Login
Username:
Password:
You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Current Page:13 of 22
Iceboy

Last Visited: 16:59
10th Feb 2012
Re: Glencoe Snow 2012
Date Posted: 18.37hrs on Wed 4 Jan 12
igloo4you Wrote:
Iceboy,

Can't guarantee anything but North Westerleys are normally pretty good for us.

Andy

OK thanks. I think i will wax my skis now and go for it tomorrow.

doofdoofdoof

Last Visited: 14:08
21st Apr 2014
Date Posted: 18.46hrs on Thu 5 Jan 12
A touch too icy today to really enjoy it. Excellent cover but a hard thick crust has formed and it could have done with a quite a bit more piste bashing. We didn't bother with the main basin as the signs suggested experts only. There were pockets of powder midmountain but they were few and far between. Fingers crossed for some fresh over the next few days as the base seems fairly bombproof.

alan

Last Visited: 10:05
24th Apr 2014
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 18.10hrs on Fri 6 Jan 12
Why the Summit Camera went offline:

The hope is this can be fixed during next week if weather permits. Once it's secured and weather tight, the camera equipment can be put back up and powered on.

igloo4you

Last Visited: 06:42
24th Apr 2014
Date Posted: 20.05hrs on Fri 6 Jan 12
As part of world celebrations, the Fédération Internationale de Ski (FIS) is working with snow sports bodies across the globe, including Ski Scotland, to raise the profile of all things snow, on Sunday 22 January 2012. See below for activities and events planned at Glencoe Mountain Resort (weather and snow conditions permitting).

Free sledging available from 10am at the top of the access chair.
Whitedot Freeride (skis) and Baltic Bitch (snowboards) onsite all day outside the plateau cafe demonstrating the very latest kit.
At 11am you can learn how to build an igloo (top of the access chair).
At 12.30am at the top of the access chair you can enter the snowman building competition - judging will take place at 2pm. Lots of prizes.
Free race training sessions organised by Glencoe Ski Club and Glencoe Mountain are available for juniors (aged 8 - under 18), will last for 2 hours and run throughout the day. To book, call 01855 851226 or email Glencoe Mountain. All abilities welcome.
Back Country Access distributor Davy Gunn will be on hand from 10am to give practical tips on avalanche avoidance, companion rescue and much more at the Glencoe Mountain Anatom/BCA Beacon Training Park. For more information email crankitupgear@aol.co.uk or call 07746 860023

strippin

Last Visited: 12:22
17th Jan 2012
Date Posted: 23.24hrs on Sun 8 Jan 12
i dont know if any one has been up glencoe in the last few day's and found out the inside story??? but have been told the new snow gun has been damaged by the winds and will be out of action for a good bit???

alan

24th Apr 2014
Date Posted: 00.10hrs on Sat 14 Jan 12
Some photos from Glencoe today: [www.winterhighland.info]

^At the top of the Main Basin. See Pix for a full report.

Snow making, it's not the cannon that's been damaged, the problem is the power supply to it. The power went through the Plateau Poma and Trainer Rope Tow lift shacks, both of which were destroyed. The Beginner Tow will hopefully be sorted out next week allowing the power to be reconnected. In total six buildings were either destroyed or badly damaged!! Nobody remembers anything like it, the Old Ticket Office which stood on the Plateau since the 60s was the latest to be demolished by the wind on Wedneday (this week).

marco

Last Visited: 09:31
24th Apr 2013
Date Posted: 19.00hrs on Sun 15 Jan 12
Today was day that sharp edges were a must! Anything less and you were gonna get hurt at some point ! Seen a few people wipe out and stop 30 ft down the hill!

alan

24th Apr 2014
Date Posted: 00.06hrs on Wed 18 Jan 12
The mission to get all the Glencoe webcams back online suffered a setback in the early hours of Tuesday morning with the Summit Cam system packing up, but the Summit Cam is backonline with some different hardware as of Tuesday afternoon.

I've posted a bit more about the Webcams and weather stations in the Winterhighland Blog.

Unfortunately the new weather station's anemometer may have had a very short service life of some 29hours or so judging by the graph above... We shall see in the morning!!

I must also take this opportunity to thank everyone at the Glencoe Hotel for their hospitality and support, which has helped greatly in spending consecutive days on the hill at Glencoe to get the webcams, weather stations and related internet connections and communications back up and running.

glencoehotel

Last Visited: 16:44
29th Sep 2012
Date Posted: 10.14hrs on Thu 19 Jan 12
Hi Alan,it is our pleasure to be able to assist you in your efforts,as you know i have been a great supporter of scottish skiing and glencoe for a number of years and i am always looking for ways to help promote this to a wider audience and more accessible to larger number of skiers.We discussed the fact that this season we are offering a complimentary shuttle service from the hotel to the glencoe mountain resort,i have been astounded at the number of guests arring by public transport into glencoe and taking advantage of this service.I think these are visitors who with without the service would have found their trip far more expensive once you factor in taxi fares.Kind Regards Nigel

alan

24th Apr 2014
Date Posted: 14.06hrs on Thu 19 Jan 12
I think the Summit hut might be cursed for webcams and the like! It shutdown at 7.50am this morning as programmed too, but has failed to come back online on power restore at 8am and 1pm (this setup is to force a hard reboot at set times in the event the system crashes for any reason). As no one is up there due to the weather am unsure if it's not booting, not switching on or is for some other reason unable to connect to the Three network.

igloo4you

24th Apr 2014
Date Posted: 14.27hrs on Thu 19 Jan 12
Alan,

Looks like we should be able to get on the hill tomorrow morning as the wind is forecast to not be too strong so we'll try re-booting the camera first thing in the morning and see if we can get it to come back online.

According to MWIS tomorrow (Friday) looks like the day to get out for a slide as maximum windspeeds are forecast to only be 30-40mph in the morning and there should be some good drifts of fresh to play in. Currently the weekend is looking windy enough that it may afect uplift.

igloo4you

24th Apr 2014
Date Posted: 21.08hrs on Sun 22 Jan 12
Great snow, shame about the wind could sum up today at Glencoe [www.winterhighland.info]
Tomorrow is looking much better wind wise and it was chucking it down with snow when we left this evening so tomorrow could be a great day for anyone lucky enough to have a day off.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 21.10hrs Sun 22 Jan 12 by igloo4you.

HighRustler

Last Visited: 22:27
23rd Apr 2014
Date Posted: 21.55hrs on Sun 22 Jan 12
Fun day at Glencoe today. Main Basin had hero snow. The Spring Run was more wind affected but as you can see from the shot below it didn't stop us giving it a try (more than once) smiling smiley

^ Spring Run between the snow showers

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 21.56hrs Sun 22 Jan 12 by HighRustler.

igloo4you

24th Apr 2014
Date Posted: 22.01hrs on Sun 22 Jan 12
Highrustler,

Brilliant picture. I can see that being in contention for the WinterHighland calendar next year.

moffatross

Date Posted: 22.46hrs on Sun 22 Jan 12
Yep, great day at Glencoe, with surprisingly good visibility & some very nice snow. smiling smiley More pix in public reports.

[www.winterhighland.info]

Current Page:13 of 22
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: