Login
Username:
Password:
You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Current Page:24 of 24
flexyfeet

Last Visited: 18:23
7th Mar 2012
Re: Glenshee Snow ....2012
Date Posted: 18.36hrs on Tue 6 Mar 12
Sign on A9 Perth tonight re snow warning :-)
flugeryl

Last Visited: 11:36
22nd Oct 2014
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 11.15hrs on Tue 3 Apr 12
cam looks like enough for sledging and a snowball fight...lucky lecht has done best so far....been a while since I drove past GS to go to the Lecht

Be nice to skiers...they have enough problems already
David Goldsmith

Last Visited: 23:42
26th Nov 2014
Date Posted: 16.05hrs on Mon 9 Apr 12
" ... I suppose you wouldn't work at a ski resort in Scotland without being something of an optimist."

The words of Graeme McCabe, operator of Glenshee, summing up the 2011-12 winter:

[www.thecourier.co.uk]

oversteer

Last Visited: 21:19
23rd Nov 2014
Date Posted: 16.17hrs on Mon 9 Apr 12
That's an inaccurate brave face article. There is very little money. There is no fencing in the car park and none will be ordered due to lack of cash. They are hiring the post jabber to CairnGorm, which will give limited income, but things are squeaky tight.

The fencing work of the last two years will count for nought if Glenshee cannot continue to invest in repairing the key slopes.
cammyammy

Last Visited: 13:21
29th Aug 2014
Date Posted: 23.31hrs on Mon 9 Apr 12
oversteer Wrote:
That's an inaccurate brave face article. There is very little money. There is no fencing in the car park and none will be ordered due to lack of cash. They are hiring the post jabber to CairnGorm, which will give limited income, but things are squeaky tight.

The fencing work of the last two years will count for nought if Glenshee cannot continue to invest in repairing the key slopes.

What are you basing that lot on? I can't tell if you know something I dont or your just not an optimist.

Season ticket sales alone and at least one full car park weekend will have provided at least some stability to the seasons takings early on and though for alot of the season the centre was only a quarter open it means that only a proportionate amount of wages, deisel, etc had to be invested. In other words the situations not as bleak as it might seem, though its far from ideal either.

And there is no harm at all in being positive. For a kickoff the new Baddoch chairlift proved really successful and from speaking to a few people it certainly encouraged more folk up. Wiithout the new snow fencing this season could have been a whole lot worse, Cairnwell Race track was a fine specimin of that. All the extensive work that was done in prep for this season will still be earning its keep next winter for sure. True this summer funds will be tight for investment when compared to the past 2 years, but remember those seasons were exceptional. And the management staff knew that and took that into account. And as said in the article the season wasnt a total loss, but it is reassuring to see the centre can cope when its like this. We also have a new tax rate to look forward too.

Are you sure about the fencing? Im sure that I've seen some new stuff somewhere up there and word on the piste was that they didnt get to finish last years work due to construction of the new chair.

In short Im not worried; Graham has certainly seen tighter days and Glenshee Ltd and the centre itself have been through worse, alot worse.
oversteer

23rd Nov 2014
Date Posted: 19.49hrs on Tue 10 Apr 12
cammyammy Wrote:
What are you basing that lot on?

I was up last weekend and was pleased to see all the fencing had gone in. It wasn't until later in the day I was told teher would be no fencing bought due to lack of cash.

cammyammy Wrote:True this summer funds will be tight for investment when compared to the past 2 years, but remember those seasons were exceptional. And the management staff knew that and took that into account.

I'm not sure they did. Two and a half new pisters seems daft by anyone's standards. One, fair enough, but the extra kit last year was crazy. Maintenance first, must be the motto. If the fencing doesn't catch the snow, what are they gonna piste?

cammyammy Wrote:And as said in the article the season wasnt a total loss, but it is reassuring to see the centre can cope when its like this.

Is it coping though? The fencing will be worse at the start of season 12/13 than 11/12. Is that coping?

cammyammy Wrote:Are you sure about the fencing? Im sure that I've seen some new stuff somewhere up there and word on the piste was that they didnt get to finish last years work due to construction of the new chair.

Last year's work wasn't finished due to bad weather. They did Coire Fionn and Meall Odhar poma very late in the day. Since the end of the season, the remainder has gone into the Tiger and Cairnwell.

cammyammy Wrote:
In short Im not worried; Graham has certainly seen tighter days and Glenshee Ltd and the centre itself have been through worse, alot worse.

Well, I'm a dour and negative prick; I'll worry for us both. Bear in mind that that all the current lot were around when Paterson ran the place so badly in the 80s and 90s. They should know that the ski centre needs funds for a rainy day, not shiny piste bashers sitting inoperative.
alan

Last Visited: 15:45
26th Nov 2014
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 19.58hrs on Tue 10 Apr 12
Quote:
Is it coping though? The fencing will be worse at the start of season 12/13 than 11/12. Is that coping?

Not by much from what I've seen and it will still be better than it was at the start of 10/11, which was itself hugely better than 09/10. No other area has come even remotely close to the % of fence replacement work Glenshee has done over the last few summers.

Glenshee is certainly in a vastly better place than CairnGorm is in terms of fencing, the state of the fencing on CairnGorm at the moment is the worst I've ever seen it. Year on year less has been getting repaired than was damaged the previous season and it's been accumulating for a long time, add in the effects of Hurricane Bawbag 1,2,3 etc and it's not a pretty picture.

This has directly contributed to the West Wall Poma failing to load at the bottom once this season even when the runs were complete and almost certainly reduced the M1 pomas days of operation.

That said I'm quite happy to see the back of some snow fencing that was ripped out completely last autumn and I hope it doesn't get put back, such as the top leg of the Zig Zags. That fence not being there probably saved the Gunbarrel this year!

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 20.01hrs Tue 10 Apr 12 by alan.
oversteer

23rd Nov 2014
Date Posted: 21.17hrs on Tue 10 Apr 12
I don't disagree, Alan, I just didn't like the report's attempts at papering over the cracks. The season has been a disaster and it'll take several good seasons to recover; reputation/goodwill, fencing, maintenance...

One more bad season and we're in big trouble.

cammyammy

29th Aug 2014
Date Posted: 22.01hrs on Tue 10 Apr 12
Must be said though that the fleet of pb's were causing more trouble than good before the new kit arrived. Though hideously expensive at over 1/2m all in, at least now the much more reliable machines will not need much attention for the next couple of seasons at least if their looked after. And though I agree with your "Maintainance First" policy, the old machines really were in a terrible state. Wither or not they had to spend what they did on what they bought is an argument for another day.
And dont forget that work was done on alot of lift as well, not a huge amount but its a start and certainly enough to keep them occupied all summer long. Lets not forget about putting up a new chairlift as well.

"The fencing will be worse at the start of season 12/13 than 11/12"
True, but snow fencing is meant to last for years at least with intermim repairs. Your not suggesting they replace the lot on a yearly basis are you?

"Bear in mind that that all the current lot were around when Paterson ran the place so badly in the 80s and 90s" - Very true but thats exactly why I have confidence in them; they have learnt the hard way what happens when you screw up.

Thats a positive note in itself; the remainder has gone where you said. And theres plenty of odd jobs that will keep them busy this summer as well no doubt, improving the (un)loading areas of the Baddoch would be a good start and it'll cost them next to nothing.

I do think you are being a bit negative; The situation is not as bad as you make out, its not good either, but we're still far from the doom and gloom IMO.

If we get another bad (for us) winters then so be it, we will just have to scrape through it as theres not much else we can do and all the other ski centre in the same boat, its not just GS. Lets hope not though.
cammyammy

29th Aug 2014
Date Posted: 10.31hrs on Tue 17 Apr 12
It may be just cosmetic, but it gets your wishful thinking cap on smiling smiley

[www.webcam-hd.com]
benim83n

Last Visited: 12:55
26th Nov 2014
Date Posted: 17.21hrs on Tue 24 Apr 12
any one else noticed just how much snoq is on glas maol?
, how i wish i could do some touring...
Current Page:24 of 24
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: