Login
Username:
Password:
You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous123456
Current Page:6 of 6
cammyammy

Last Visited: 13:21
29th Aug 2014
Re: Making the most of this weather – touring recommendations please!
Date Posted: 21.15hrs on Fri 12 Apr 13
Rwg. I was there today, decided to go up one of the snow covered hills east of the car park. Once you gain maybe 100m vertical the snow fields really open out, could have spent a long long time out there and worked my way across to GM. In the end did a couple of the hills round there and returned to the car, a great wee tour though snow was very heavy on the downward journey.

On the western side there's not as much, its probably a 200m hike up a hillside above Auchavan until you can put skis on. However it looked as though you could put skins on pretty soon above Tulchan Lodge and not have to take them off again all the way up Glas Maol. So with a bike or permission from Tulchan to take a vehicle up there it could be an excellent tour, on foot though its a bit of a slog. Can't wait to get out again though, the western facing hills are all still loaded, properly loaded.

Looking out to Tulchan with Glas Maol in the back ground, Monega hill and Caenlochan glen just visible.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 21.17hrs Fri 12 Apr 13 by cammyammy.

Attachments: image.jpg (30kB)  
Mike_w

Last Visited: 23:38
22nd Oct 2014
Date Posted: 15.36hrs on Tue 23 Apr 13
Stone chute ever been skied?
[www.ukclimbing.com].

Mike in Edinburgh
Assorted scottish pics - www.prog99.com

Gorminator

Last Visited: 18:11
22nd Oct 2014
Date Posted: 17.09hrs on Tue 23 Apr 13
As I explained to Al Todd, Jim Mackay and I got a few turns in it in the year of the last Foot and Mouth outbreak in 2001. Too many rocks that time though. A difficult one to check out.

AlTodd

Last Visited: 22:58
22nd Oct 2014
Date Posted: 21.51hrs on Tue 23 Apr 13
Mike_w Wrote:
Stone chute ever been skied?

Mike in Edinburgh

Mike, my question to George was prompted by exactly the same pic on UK climbing. Have thought about skiing it for some time but wondered if the snow ever banked out the rocks. No time like the present but would like to have more to ski on before making the effort to go to Skye and carry the ski's a considerable distance.

Attached pic taken in summer

Attachments: Sgurr Alasdair.jpg (406kB)  
crouch_potato

Last Visited: 11:05
13th Jun 2014
Date Posted: 14.49hrs on Thu 25 Apr 13
Stone chute amongst many that I've always dreamt about skiing and someone must have given it a shot surely. Like some of the great recent reports from here - Seana Bhraigh, Ben Hope... - I rarely find anyone with similar enthusiasm for usually pretty unpredictable trips when they take so much driving to do.

Back to the present, should still be interesting stuff to do this weekend. I'm going to wait and see what the weather does but will hopefully manage to get out on Sat. Likely to be a solo mission so nothing too ambitious, possibly involving biking in. Always open to inspiration though, so anyone got anythign to report from the last week or any interesting plans?

Gorminator

Last Visited: 18:11
22nd Oct 2014
Date Posted: 22.17hrs on Thu 25 Apr 13
Crouch, get yourself on British Backcountry on Facebook. It's all there - and more.

crouch_potato

13th Jun 2014
Date Posted: 08.26hrs on Fri 26 Apr 13
^ it's good that gorminator... not the greatest place for posting reports but handy to have.

Mike_w

Last Visited: 23:38
22nd Oct 2014
Date Posted: 23.43hrs on Mon 29 Apr 13
Lochnagar area still looking good. We were walking but went up the black spout which was complete with a wee bit of new slab on the old neve.

Met a couple out touring on Carn a'Coire Boidheach who said they got up there on good coverage. Descent to the west looked excellent and I think you'd get a long way down the Allt an Dubh Loch.

Best of all was the view north on sunday, cairngorms looked superb (pics attached).

Mike in Edinburgh

Attachments: IMG_6869.jpg (222kB)   IMG_6884.jpg (230kB)  
telemarker

Last Visited: 19:00
21st Oct 2014
Date Posted: 09.28hrs on Tue 30 Apr 13
good to see the cover on those hills, thanks for the photos Mike_w

cammyammy

29th Aug 2014
Date Posted: 18.18hrs on Sat 4 May 13
Keen to get some touring done on Monday probably Glas Maol munros via ski centre to make use of low level snow. Anyone been up that way recently to comment on conditions or got better suggestions?

Daryl

Last Visited: 20:47
23rd Mar 2014
Date Posted: 17.39hrs on Wed 8 May 13
hi,

has anyone been up on to the cairngorm plateau this week? any photos of snow conditions? hope to get a tour up lurcher and over to macdui/derry cairngorm on friday, but not sure if route will be complete?

crouch_potato

13th Jun 2014
Date Posted: 11.43hrs on Thu 9 May 13
^ Daryl, there's some recent pics on a link posted by firefly in the Scottish Snow Patch thread that you might find useful. Lurchers and the Ciste look like the best options for skis up/down but without more info it's anyone's guess how extensive cover is up top - my guess is linking some patches and some walking, but that's just speculation based on a couple of weeks ago plus limited pictures since then... Happy to be proved wrong. Plenty of corries holding decent cover though whatever the rest is like.

Skitourer

Last Visited: 09:52
18th Jul 2014
Date Posted: 17.52hrs on Sun 12 May 13
We toured round the N Corries today from Cairngorm - OK into Raibert but after that a lot of skinning up and walking down so the other way round might be more fun. The W side of Coire Domhain still has very good cover. Long walk across the Meadow to Lurchers but the cloud was thick by then and there could be better routes. (No view of Macdui). Lurchers however was great - almost as good as three weeks ago, still wide and the snow was soft but not soggy. We went right down to the bottom (about a 5 min walk to get to the lowest snow) and were then blown by the gale along the lower snow band. So there are still touring possibilities out there worth a look if the sun is shining, but probably not the conditions for taking a mate on a first ski tour.

HighRustler

18th Oct 2014
Date Posted: 21.46hrs on Sun 12 May 13
A few photos from an overnight trip to the CIC Hut on the Ben on Thursday to celebrate my birthday. Some familiar faces joined the fun with No 5 , No 4, No 2 (partially) and Tower gullies seeing some action. Probably the most snow on the Ben at this time of year since 2008 which had similar cover in May. The cornices are larger than in recent years but No 5, No 4 and Tower can be negotiated with care. I topped out on No 2 after a mini battle with a bulging cornice which helped me decide to leave a full descent of No 2 for another year smiling smiley

^Pablo looking back towards the CIC hut from No 5

^ Relatively straightforward to overcome the cornice in No 5 and top out

^ The classic shot of skiing No 5 with views down to the CIC Hut 500m below.

^ The WH ski train departing for No 2 gully. Jungle, Dave A, Pablo, Jamie and Blair

^ Ascending No 2 before the fun really starts....

^ At the midpoint the deep avy runnel and increasing gradient starts to spice things up otherwise No 2 is as wide as I've ever seen it...

^ I decide to have a look beyond the runnel..topping out involved 20 minutes of hand to hand combat with the bulging cornice which made the decision to head over to No 4 rather than try to ski back in an easy one.. smiling smiley (photo courtesy of Blair Aitken)

^ About to drop the cornice entrance to No 4 gully

^ Hut with a view...CIC as dusk falls over the North face of the Ben.

^ Jungle and Dave A high above Tower Scoop in a steep and misty Tower gully

^ Visibility was so bad the only ski photo taken was in lower Observatory gully..the visibility might have been bad but the snow was very good!

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 22.56hrs Sun 12 May 13 by HighRustler.

crouch_potato

13th Jun 2014
Date Posted: 11.25hrs on Tue 4 Jun 13
Not too sure where to put this “touring” report (Southern Uplands Conditions, Pennines, Summer ski thread...) but thought this as good a place as any.

Seeing the forecast for the weekend, we decided to take one last ski trip for the season. Started out up the College Valley (Northumberland) on Saturday night at 9pm, stashed the bikes and bivvied on the border ridge. A beautiful clear and cool night, never really getting dark, and with snipe drumming overhead, curlew and plover calling, lots of small songbirds nesting and singing at all hours it wasn't a great sleep.

A leisurely start on Sunday, checked out the snow at the top of the Cheviot burn (on the South/Scottish side of the border ridge) which was good enough to warrant half a dozen runs of a few hundred metres a time. Nipped over to the top of the College burn, skied the waterfall patch – a big, deep patch at the top of the hen hole that bridges a series of small waterfalls. Skiing here is less steep and shorter vertical but interesting for the setting above the watercourse. The water and melt has created some big caverns under the snow (with nicely sculpted vaults big enough to stand up in) and offers and an interesting (slippery and wet) scramble up the waterfall under the snow patch. The snow overhead was still a couple of metres deep and sound enough to ski – but if it had collapsed it's quite a big drop to the stream bed and a massive volume of snow that would be coming down with you, so caution advised (I wouldn't try crossing it on foot, especially if the weather is this warm for long). Had “brunch” whilst watching a dipper searching for food in this sub-snow cave and waiting for the thing cloud to disperse. Finally had a wander around elsewhere, checking out other snow and imagining the potential for some beautiful steeper lines through the crags, watching peregrines circling above and below us, back at the bikes for the middle of the day by which time the sun appeared and was starting to get hot.

Despite best intentions I have never before skiied on the Cheviot in June (last few years have done Cross Fell and Killhope Law) so was pleased to make the most of it – the skiing was surprisingly fun too.

For me it's been a fun season of touring, starting out in the Cheviots, and getting out in the Pennines, Pentlands, Perthshire, East Highlands, Cairngorms and Central/West Highlands before ending, for now at least, on the Cheviot 6 or 7 months later. I'm enjoying the sun, but might make a final final trip up North for some steeper stuff. Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread over the last few months – there have been some great reports, inspirational pictures, and it leaves lots to look forwards to for next season. Cheers!

Goto Page:  Previous123456
Current Page:6 of 6
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: